Created in 1909 by Nobel Laureate Marie Curie, Institut Curie brings together a world-class multidisciplinary cancer research center and a model hospital group in Paris and its surroundings.
Institut Curie’s IC-3i international PhD Program which is co-funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant agreement No 666003, provides PhD students with a high level interdisciplinary, inter-sectorial, and international training with dedicated career development plans, secondments and mentoring.
IC-3i PhD fellows will carry out research in a vibrant environment based on the pluri-disciplinary approaches and excellence offered by over 80 research groups comprising Institut Curie’s 12 research departments grouped into 4 domains and a translational department:
Fellowships & benefits
Fellows are Institut Curie employees with a gross monthly salary of 2100€/month for 3 years (including the doctoral mission), starting from October.
They benefit from health insurance, maternity/paternity leave, retirement and unemployment. A collective bargaining agreement allows employees to benefit from supplementary health insurance as well as additional supplemental retirement.
If additional time is necessary to complete the PhD, PhD fellows can ask their host laboratory for help to look for additional funding after the 3-year contract period.
- Access to technology platforms and equipment for scientific imaging, genomics, proteomics, and bioinformatics.
- Close partnership with Sanofi & Servier and scientific collaborations with numerous startups and industrials
- Collaboration with Institut Pasteur in the frame of the program
- Participation in the annual scientific meeting for young researchers to present their research work
- Application for travel grants to attend meetings, summer schools, conferences or courses abroad.
- Opportunity to attend every year 300 conferences & seminars in English by Institut Curie researchers, physicians and renowned international scientists.
- Support and networking with the students and postdocs’ association (Adic) which enables students and PhD students to get involved in the organization of conferences, the Young Researchers Life Sciences Congress, career development workshops and social events.
- Registration at PSL University. All PhD students at Institut Curie register with a partner university and are affiliated with a Doctoral school. University Registration costs around 500€.
Housing at the Cité Internationale Universitaire de Paris (CIUP). The monthly rent is paid by the PhD fellow (around 600€/month).
- PhD fellows benefit from subsidized access to cafeteria for lunch, sports on Campus in Paris & Orsay and free internet access all over the campus.
French courses for free on campus
Career Development Plan
Throughout their thesis period, PhD fellows will benefit from a personalized Career Development Plan in accordance with each fellow’s doctoral-school requirements. PhD fellows will engage in courses and training, take part in a doctoral mission, benefit from secondments and participate in various other activities.
• University-accredited international courses
• Transferrable skills courses
• Hands-on training in scientific techniques and apparatus
• Career development workshops
• Public engagement activities
• A doctoral mission: training, expertise, or consultancy that will be completed during the thesis period and will enable the PhD fellow to develop new skills
Supervision & mentoring
All PhD fellows will be supervised by a researcher with an Habilitation à Diriger les Recherches (HDR), a diploma which authorizes research supervision.
Upon their arrival, all PhD fellows choose a mentor, who will guide them regarding the progress of their thesis. They organize yearly PhD thesis committee meetings with their thesis supervisor(s), their mentor and a representative of their doctoral school. These meetings are required by the university so as to track the progress of the thesis.
Governance & Selection Bodies
IC-3i PhD Program Coordinator
Institut Curie Group leader: Structure and Membrane Compartments
Deputy Director of the Cell Biology Department
Deputy Director for Training – Research Center
|Geneviève Almouzni, PhD
|Prof. Laura Attardi, PhD
|Allison Bardin, PhD
|Prof. Philippe Bastiaens, PhD
|Virginie Dangles-Marie, DVM, PhD
|Daniele Fachinetti, PhD
|Claire Hivroz, PhD
|Barbara Janssens, PhD
|Ludger Johannes, PhD
|Amaury Martin, PhD
|François Radvanyi, PhD
|Graça Raposo, PhD
|Angela Taddei, PhD
|Stéphan Vagner, PhD
|Prof. Marc J. van de Vijver, MD PhD
Review and Selection Committees
The Review and Selection Committees are two different selection committees composed of Institut Curie scientists, external experts and representatives of the Doctoral Schools.
- The Review Committee will examine the online applications (1st round of selection)
- The Selection Committees will conduct the interviews (2nd round of selection) of the shortlisted candidates.
|Prof. Nathalie Dostatni, PhD
|Graça Raposo, PhD
|Prof. Simon Saule, PhD